Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Hall, 480m ENE of Meikle Laight

A Scheduled Monument in Stranraer and the Rhins, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.9899 / 54°59'23"N

Longitude: -5.0137 / 5°0'49"W

OS Eastings: 207293

OS Northings: 570297

OS Grid: NX072702

Mapcode National: GBR GH0J.66W

Mapcode Global: WH1QP.YVQ2

Entry Name: Old Hall, 480m ENE of Meikle Laight

Scheduled Date: 4 March 2002

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM10430

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: house

Location: Inch

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Stranraer and the Rhins

Traditional County: Wigtownshire


The monument comprises Old Hall, also known as Old House of Croach or Alpin's Old Castle, a medieval building, now visible as an upstanding mound. The monument is situated on the NW bank of the reservoir at the head of the Glen Burn at about 140m OD.

The house is located on Laight Moor, SW of the confluence of the Duckdubs Burn and the Glen Burn, and NE of the point at which a ford crossed the latter. It commands magnificent sightlines down the steep-sided valley and to the Irish Sea.

The lands on which the house stands were detached from the Cairn Ryan Estate to William Agnew, second son of Sir Andrew Agnew, in 1460. The first reference to the existence of a house here, however, dates to 1563. Lochryan House was built in 1701, about 1.7km to the SSW, at which time the old house was abandoned. It is described as 'Old Hall (In ruins)' on the First Edition OS map.

There is evidence to suggest that the laird's house was originally rectangular in plan, perhaps of two storeys, and aligned NW-SE at the NE end of the site, with a subsidiary building set perpendicularly at the SE. These buildings formed the NE and SE sides of a rectilinear enclosure. The walls of the house were approximately 1.1m thick. The entrance was midway along the SW wall and a narrower dividing wall bisected the ground floor to the right of the doorway. Entry into the courtyard may have been through a narrow passage on the SE side between the two ranges.

The remains were re-used as sheepfolds sometime after the abandonment of the Old Hall. Most of the rebuilding was concentrated in the courtyard area and part of the NE wall of the monument was utilised as the SW side of a sheepfold. A later enclosure to the SW appears to be contemporaneous with its use for livestock and is partly submerged by the reservoir. The remains consist of a substantial mound of rubble lying amongst mature trees. However, parts of the original walling survive up to 1.6m in height and, upon closer inspection, the form of the laird's house complex is still discernible.

The area proposed for scheduling comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related material may be found. It is rectilinear on plan with maximum dimensions of 41m NE-SW by 34m NW-SE, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland


No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.