Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tirai,settlement and standing stone

A Scheduled Monument in Trossachs and Teith, Stirling

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.499 / 56°29'56"N

Longitude: -4.3928 / 4°23'33"W

OS Eastings: 252807

OS Northings: 736669

OS Grid: NN528366

Mapcode National: GBR HCJJ.W0D

Mapcode Global: WH3KX.HXF5

Entry Name: Tirai,settlement and standing stone

Scheduled Date: 12 March 1996

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6340

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric ritual and funerary: standing stone; Secular: settlement, including deserted, depopulate

Location: Killin

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Traditional County: Perthshire

Description

The monument forms an extensive and well preserved group of deserted settlements spread across 900 metres of sloping ground. Five buildings, named 'Teraoui' are marked on Roy's map of 1747. On the 1867 OS map most of the buildings are shown roofed, but by 1901 the settlement was deserted.

The three distinct settlement areas include 18 buildings, 4 possible buildings, four kilns or possible kilns, a bridge, a possible mill site, enclosures and fields. The buildings vary in nature and dwellings, barns and other roofed structures are represented. They vary from 25m by 4.3m to 7.7m by 2.1m in size and many survive to the gables. One of the buildings has a flue and a fireplace indicating a comparatively late date.

Some of the better-preserved buildings have cruck slots. Some other buildings survive only as low foundations and may be of an earlier date or less substantial construction. There is a possible mill site by the burn toward the E of the main settlement area and a bridge crosses this burn. There are several well-preserved kilns.

To the south of the main settlement area a series of terraces, a platform and other structures may indicate earlier settlement. At the north east of the main settlement area there is a standing stone which is 1.05m high, 1m wide and 0.4m thick. There is a drill hole, possibly for blasting, in its E face.

The three areas to be scheduled from west to east measure as follows: 160m N-S by 150m E-W, 300m SW-NE by 80m and 340m WNW-ESE by 365m SW-NE, to include the remains of buildings, enclosures, associated structures, field systems and an area around each grouping, as shown in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as a very extensive and well-preserved pre-improvement settlement which has the potential considerably to enhance our understanding of pre-modern domestic life and farming. A number of the buildings are very well preserved and a range of types of structures are represented. The variable state of preservation of the buildings suggests that the visible remains may span quite a long period of time, offering the possibility of studying the evolution of a settlement.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NN 53 NW 2 and the standing stone as NN 53 NW 2.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.