Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

High Keillor, symbol stone and cairn, 280m north west of

A Scheduled Monument in Kirriemuir and Dean, Angus

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.5442 / 56°32'39"N

Longitude: -3.1834 / 3°11'0"W

OS Eastings: 327333

OS Northings: 739759

OS Grid: NO273397

Mapcode National: GBR VD.LNFS

Mapcode Global: WH6PQ.2SC0

Entry Name: High Keillor, symbol stone and cairn, 280m NW of

Scheduled Date: 16 November 1923

Last Amended: 7 December 1998

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM146

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: symbol stone; Prehistoric ritual and funerary: cairn (type uncertain)

Location: Kettins

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Kirriemuir and Dean

Traditional County: Angus

Description

The monument comprises a Pictish symbol stone and a cairn of Pictish or earlier date. The monument was first scheduled in 1923, and rescheduled in 1935, but an inadequate area was included to protect all of the archaeological remains. The present rescheduling is intended to rectify this.

The monument is situated in a stone-walled roadside enclosure at the side of an arable field, at around 140m OD, and commands extensive views across Strathmore. It consists of a cairn measuring approximately 13m in diameter and about 0.7m high, surmounted by a Pictish symbol stone. Early excavations revealed the remains of multiple burials in cists dug into the cairn, and it may be expected that more will remain within and below the cairn.

The stone is set upright in a relatively modern socket-stone at the summit of the cairn, although there is no reason to believe that it has been moved any distance from its original position. It measures some 2m high by about 1.8m in girth. Incised into one of the faces of the stone are a number of Pictish symbols, including a wolf, a 'double-disc and Z-rod', and a double circle.

The symbol stone dates to around the seventh or eighth century AD, while the burial cairn may have been originally constructed as early as the Neolithic period, between around 3000-2000 BC.

The area proposed for scheduling comprises the area within the walled enclosure. It is irregular in shape with maximum dimensions of 38m from its E-most point to its W-most point and 10m transversely. The stone wall is itself excluded from the scheduling.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to our understanding of Pictish art and prehistoric funerary and ritual practices.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

The monument is recorded by RCAHMS as NO 23 NE 3.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.