Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kilmaluig burial ground, Treshnish, Mull

A Scheduled Monument in Oban South and the Isles, Argyll and Bute

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.5571 / 56°33'25"N

Longitude: -6.3051 / 6°18'18"W

OS Eastings: 135564

OS Northings: 748866

OS Grid: NM355488

Mapcode National: GBR BCTD.2RM

Mapcode Global: WGYC4.3GV3

Entry Name: Kilmaluig burial ground, Treshnish, Mull

Scheduled Date: 14 January 2003

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM10575

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: burial ground, cemetery, graveyard

Location: Kilninian and Kilmore

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Oban South and the Isles

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Description

The monument comprises a burial ground of late medieval and post-medieval date.

The monument lies on the W bank of a small stream some 420m NE of Treshnish farm. The burial ground is defined by a largely turf-covered stone wall enclosing a roughly circular area some 50m in diameter.

This wall is preserved to a height of about 1m in the N sector, where it incorporates massive facing-blocks and has an average thickness of 1.8m. An entrance in the NW sector, marked by an orthostat E jamb, provides access to a small boat-landing some 400m to the N.

The remains of several small burial enclosures are visible in the E part of the burial ground, where all the identifiable funerary monuments are situated. The earliest of the inscribed stones bears the date 1808. In the SE section of the burial ground there stands a small undecorated cross of schist.

Its height above ground level is 0.75m, and the shaft, which has a thickness of 0.05m, tapers in width from 0.21m at ground level to 0.14m below the cross-head. The arms of the cross are 0.12m in height and have an overall span of 0.24m. This stone is probably of late medieval date.

The name 'Kilmoluag' was recorded on Pont's map of the area in the late 16th century and the dedication was evidently to St Moluag of Lismore, so it is possible that there are remains on the site of 16th-century or earlier date. The burial ground was used for interments until the last century: the date of the latest identifiable funerary monument is 1930.

The area proposed for scheduling comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related material may be expected to survive. It is circular in shape with a diameter of 75m, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to an understanding of medieval and later prehistoric burial practice.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NM 34 NE 15.

Bibliography:

RCAHMS (1980) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona), Edinburgh, 170, No. 330.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.