Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Avonhead Colliery

A Scheduled Monument in Airdrie North, North Lanarkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9061 / 55°54'22"N

Longitude: -3.914 / 3°54'50"W

OS Eastings: 280441

OS Northings: 669770

OS Grid: NS804697

Mapcode National: GBR 1034.FN

Mapcode Global: WH4Q5.VTC4

Entry Name: Avonhead Colliery

Scheduled Date: 16 February 2001

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM9675

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: coal

Location: New Monkland

County: North Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Airdrie North

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Description

The monument comprises the remains of two pit head bings forming components of Avonhead Colliery of late 19th -early 20th Century date, visible as upstanding features.

The monuments are situated in rough pasture at about 210m O.D. The western monument is the earlier of the two and comprises a partly disturbed crow's foot bing. This bing was associated with a coal mine (Pit No.9) which is depicted on the Ordnance Survey 2nd Edition map (1899).

The second monument is situated c. 300m to the NE and comprises a well-preserved crow's foot bing. The coal mine associated with this bing is not depicted on the Ordnance Survey Second or 1913 Edition maps, though a tramway leading to the ESE in the direction of Avonhead Colliery Pit No.1 is visible.

As all levels and workings of Avonhead ironstone and coal mine Colliery were abandoned by February 1920 (Mines Department 1931), it is probable that this bing relates to mine workings undertaken during the First World War or soon after. The areas proposed for scheduling comprises the two separate bing remains as described and an area around each of them within which related material may be expected to be found.

The western area proposed for scheduling is sub-circular in shape, with maximum dimensions of 100m E-W by 65m N-S as marked in red on the accompanying map extract. The eastern area proposed for scheduling is sub-circular in shape, with maximum dimensions of 110m E-W by 115m N-S as marked in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monuments are of national importance as industrial monuments which have the potential to provide important information regarding the industry and economy of early modern times. In addition the monuments are characteristic landscape features of the area, representing important examples of the remains of the Lanarkshire coalfields which came to dominate the Scottish coal industry in the 19th century. Their importance is increased by their group value and by their historical significance.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NS 86 NW 13.00, 13.04 and 13.06.

Aerial Photographs used:

RCAHMS 1995 C41020.

RCAHMS 1995 C41025.

Map references:

Ordnance Survey 1899 Second Edition (Lanarkshire) sheet III, 6 inches to 1 mile.

Ordnance Survey 1913 1913 Edition (Lanarkshire) sheet III.15, 6 inches to 1 mile.

Ordnance Survey 1913 1913 Edition (Lanarkshire) sheet III.16, 6 inches to 1 mile.

Bibliography:

RCAHMS (1998) Forts, Farms and Furnaces: archaeology and the Central Scotland Forest, 4.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.