Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lochend Pit No. 5 and bing, 650m south west of Lochend

A Scheduled Monument in Airdrie North, North Lanarkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 55.9038 / 55°54'13"N

Longitude: -3.8426 / 3°50'33"W

OS Eastings: 284897

OS Northings: 669387

OS Grid: NS848693

Mapcode National: GBR 10L5.WH

Mapcode Global: WH4Q6.YVCY

Entry Name: Lochend Pit No. 5 and bing, 650m SW of Lochend

Scheduled Date: 19 November 2003

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM9680

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: coal

Location: New Monkland

County: North Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Airdrie North

Traditional County: Lanarkshire


The monuments comprise the remains of Lochend Colliery Pit No.5 and associated bing of late 19th century date, visible as upstanding features.

The monuments are situated in rough pasture at about 225m O.D. The monuments consist of the remains of the pit-head buildings and bing associated with Lochend Colliery Pit No 5. The remains of Lochend Colliery Pit No.5 are remarkable for the survival of a well-preserved bing together with a suite of pit-head buildings. Pit No. 5 was opened in about 1880 by the Brownside Coal Company and in 1948 had an estimated three years of production remaining (NMRS, MS 819). It stood on the NBR Longriggend Railway, a branch of the Slamannan Line (RCAHMS 1998, 27).

The bing is known locally as 'The Mexican's Hat'. This dominates the site and is a long-lived and highly recognisable feature within the landscape, visible from a considerable distance. It comprises a complex crow's foot bing overlain by a conical heap (the peak of the hat). The bing lies to the SE of the pit-head with both the crow's feet tip-lines and the line of the conveyor orientated towards it. The crow's foot bing exhibits a complex sequence of formation (clearly visible on the SE, where a sequence of tip lines can be seen).

Shallow depressions along the crests of many of the crow's feet indicate the courses of barrow runs. The centre of the crow's feet bing is overlain by a large conical mound, formed by a conveyor, the line of which is marked by several wooden posts on the NW side. The depiction of the spoil on the Ordnance Survey revised edition (Lanarkshire 1922, sheet iv) suggests that the bing had yet to reach its full extent by that date.

To the SE of the bing there are two interconnecting settling ponds, formed on embanked spoil. The line of the railway which runs between the bing and the pit-head buildings is marked by a farm track.

To the N of the railway line there are the remains of at least four buildings and several depressions which may mark the location of the shaft(s). A two-storey brick engine-house is situated immediately to the N of the railway line, while the three compartment footings of what may have been the washer lie to the NE. A brick-built winding mechanism base lies to the NW of the engine-house, aligned towards a C-shaped depression, possibly a pit-head.

To the WSW of the winding mechanism base there are the grass-covered remains of what may have been an earlier base, comprising two parallel mounds, also aligned towards a depression, perhaps the 'old shaft' shown on the revised edition of the OS 6-inch map (ibid). Further to the WNW there is a sub-rectangular, partly grass-covered, concrete floor, probably the canteen. The likely site of a brick-built magazine is situated to the NW of the mine.

The Ordnance Survey Second Edition map (Lanarkshire 1899, sheet iv) depicts two roofed structures beside the railway and loop, but no spoil. By the date of the revised edition (1922) there is a bing on the S side of the railway, the same two roofed structures and an old shaft marked between the bing and the railway. The Gazetteer of NCB Mines (NMRS, MS 819) records that Lochend No. 5 had a washer and a canteen in 1948, and it is likely that these are the present structures visible on the site.

The area proposed for scheduling comprises two separate areas, to include the remains as described and an area around them within which related material may be expected to be found. The north-western area is irregular in shape, centred on the footprints of the buildings, and has maximum dimensions of 80m NE-SW by 40m transversely, with the northern edge of the track forming the southern boundary of this area, as marked in red on the accompanying map extract. The south-eastern area, centred on the bing, is irregular in shape, with maximum dimensions of 158m NE-SW by 100m transversely.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because it is an important example of the remains of the Lanarkshire coalfields which came to dominate the Scottish coal industry in the 19th century.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland



RCAHMS records the monument as NS86NW 54.


RCAHMS 1998, FORTS, FARMS AND FURNACES. ARCHAEOLOGY IN THE CENTRAL SCOTLAND FOREST, Edinburgh, Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland.

Aerial photographs Used:

RCAHMS 1995 C41034.

RCAHMS 1996 C72988.

Survey Plan:

RCAHMS 1992 C44628

Map references:

Ordnance Survey 1899 Second Edition (Lanarkshire) sheet IV, 6 inches to 1 mile.

Ordnance Survey 1922 Revised Edition (Lanarkshire) sheet IV, 6 inches to 1 mile.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.