This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1219 / 53°7'18"N
Longitude: -3.8246 / 3°49'28"W
OS Eastings: 277996
OS Northings: 359858
OS Grid: SH779598
Mapcode National: GBR 63.77FZ
Mapcode Global: WH65X.7S1K
Entry Name: Vale of Conwy Lead Mine
Scheduled Date: 30 August 2001
Source ID: 3856
Cadw Legacy ID: CN327
Schedule Class: Industrial
Category: Lead mine
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The monument comprises the remains of a small and well-preserved lead mine site in the important Gwydir Forest mining area. The remains on the site include a crusher house with its waterwheel pit, dating from 1876-7, a dressing floor below this, a round buddle and rectangular settling tanks of the same date, and the ruin of a small adjacent building which may have been an office. Mining on this site was recorded in 1806, but the Vale of Conway venture was established in 1876, bringing earlier workings into one operation. It was worked sporadically until 1886, then incorporated into the Hafna workings sett in 1899. All of the key features were consolidated by the Snowdonia National Park in 1990. Various adits, shafts, tramroad routes and an ore bin are also spread throughout the adjacent woodland.
The monument is a well preserved example of a typical small lead mine of the mid to late ninteenth century in an important industrial area. The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance and illustrate our knowledge and understanding of mining technology from a single period. Lead mines may be part of a larger cluster of industrial monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.