This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1319 / 53°7'54"N
Longitude: -3.8028 / 3°48'9"W
OS Eastings: 279483
OS Northings: 360934
OS Grid: SH794609
Mapcode National: GBR 64.6LQN
Mapcode Global: WH65X.KJCW
Entry Name: Gwydir Uchaf Chapel
Source ID: 3400
Cadw Legacy ID: CN113
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
A small private chapel built by Sir Richard Wynn in 1673. It is a simple rectangular building, 12.5m long and 8.5m wide. The doorway is in the N wall, and the building is lit by two windows in the S wall and one in the N wall W of the door. The E window is of four lights with a two centred head.
The interior is dominated by the ceiling, on which is painted a series of pictures representing divine themes.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of post-medieval chapels. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.