This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1018 / 53°6'6"N
Longitude: -3.8356 / 3°50'8"W
OS Eastings: 277201
OS Northings: 357637
OS Grid: SH772576
Mapcode National: GBR 62.8QR5
Mapcode Global: WH663.19SG
Entry Name: Afon Llugwy Lead Mill
Scheduled Date: 30 August 2001
Source ID: 3866
Cadw Legacy ID: CN331
Schedule Class: Industrial
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The monument consists of the remains of a mill, a factory used for processing raw materials. The monument is a lead mill, associated with Coed Mawr Pool Mine but some distance from it, on the southern bank of the Afon Llugwy. The mill dates from around the 1880s and was powered by a six foot Pelton wheel, supplied with water by pipes carried on a bridge from the north side of the river, the two piers of which survive. The mill building housed Green's patent crushing mill, a compressor house, a jigger and vanning tables, with smiths and joiners shops. There were filter beds immediately to the east. On the north side of the river is a level which provided ore to the mill via the bridge.
The monument is a good example of a late nineteenth-century lead mine mill within a functional group. The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of manufacturing techniques and processes. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
The scheduled areas comprise the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments