This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1568 / 53°9'24"N
Longitude: -4.4413 / 4°26'28"W
OS Eastings: 236863
OS Northings: 364965
OS Grid: SH368649
Mapcode National: GBR 59.51MD
Mapcode Global: WH434.RX9B
Entry Name: Tywyn-y-Parc Promontory Fort
Source ID: 2524
Cadw Legacy ID: AN049
Schedule Class: Defence
Category: Promontory Fort- coastal
County: Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn)
Traditional County: Anglesey
Promontory isolated from mainland by massive major ramparts and two subsidiary banks.
The main bank runs across the neck of the promontory from the S side and stops just short of the N side; the short gap between the end of the bank and the cliff may have been the entrance. The bank is about 70 m long, 8 m wide and 2.5 m high; there is a small outer ditch. The outer defences consist of two banks which just overlap. The bank to the NW is about 70 m long and between 0.5 and 1.0 m high from the inside, and between 1.5 and 1.8 m high from the bottom of the external ditch. On the E side is a similar low bank, about 36 m long and 1.25 m high from the bottom of the external ditch. Along the NW side of the fort a strong stone wall some 135 m long has been constructed along the top of the cliff edge. Some of this wall is falling over the edge, but much of the bottom course remains. Some finds of Roman date have been found.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of Prehistoric/ Romano British settlement and defence. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structures themselves may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.