This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1373 / 53°8'14"N
Longitude: -4.4132 / 4°24'47"W
OS Eastings: 238671
OS Northings: 362732
OS Grid: SH386627
Mapcode National: GBR 5B.68G4
Mapcode Global: WH43C.5DRR
Entry Name: St Dwynwen's Church
Source ID: 3259
Cadw Legacy ID: AN046
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn)
Traditional County: Anglesey
The foundations of the wall of the circular churchyard are visible lying 6 - 7 m away from the church. *there has been considerable consolidation of the monument in 2013*
The site was well known as a place of pilgrimage. A. D. Carr states, 'Dwynwen's reputation as the patron of lovers was more than local and pilgrims came to her well from all over Wales. In the 14th C Llanddwyn was one of the richest churches in Anglesey, thanks to its popularity as a place of pilgrimage, and in 1535 the tithes of the parish, which contained far more sand than soil, amounted to less than a pound while offerynges of charitable peple to the Saynt in times past" came to £12 6s 8d.'
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of Medieval ecclesiastical buildings. It retains significant archaeological potential