This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6917 / 51°41'30"N
Longitude: -4.1145 / 4°6'52"W
OS Eastings: 253941
OS Northings: 201336
OS Grid: SN539013
Mapcode National: GBR GT.SGSP
Mapcode Global: VH4JT.MQPZ
Entry Name: St David's Colliery
Scheduled Date: 28 July 1994
Source ID: 2825
Cadw Legacy ID: CM265
Schedule Class: Industrial
Category: Coal Mine
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Carmarthenshire (Sir Gaerfyrddin)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The monument consists of a coal mine, dating to the 19th century. The colliery was sunk by the Llangenech Coal Co. from 1825 and linked by the horse-drawn Llanelli Railway in 1833 to the New Dock at Llanelli. The remains include the substantial buttressed walls of a stone pumping engine house, the heapstead, several other low stone walls remaining from ancillary buildings and engine houses, and the massive steam-powered incline house for a railway incline to Penprys Colliery.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance and illustrate our knowledge and understanding of the development of the coalmining industry in Wales. It retains significant archaeological potential, with the strong possibility of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. A caol mine may be part of a larger cluster of industrial monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It measures 90m x 30m.
Other nearby scheduled monuments