This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6961 / 51°41'45"N
Longitude: -4.1133 / 4°6'47"W
OS Eastings: 254040
OS Northings: 201816
OS Grid: SN540018
Mapcode National: GBR GT.S93G
Mapcode Global: VH4JT.NMBN
Entry Name: Penprys Pit Engine House
Scheduled Date: 18 August 1994
Source ID: 650
Cadw Legacy ID: CM266
Schedule Class: Industrial
Category: Engine house
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Carmarthenshire (Sir Gaerfyrddin)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The monument consists of the remains of an engine house, dating to the 19th century (around 1890) and built to house an early to mid nineteenth-century whim engine from Old Castle Colliery. It was probably the last colliery beam engine house to be built in Wales, but its dimensions are thought to be the same as those of the much earlier house from which the engine was brought. It is exceptional in having an intact set of engine beds, from which there is the potential for the winding arrangements to be interpreted. The engine beds and shaft top, located in a line to the west of the engine house, are partially buried. Visible remains suggest use of a crank, flywheel, and two separate winding drums. The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of mining in Wales. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques. An engine house may be part of a larger cluster of industrial monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It is a rectangle and measures 10m x 25m oriented roughly west to east.
Other nearby scheduled monuments