This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6761 / 51°40'33"N
Longitude: -4.1046 / 4°6'16"W
OS Eastings: 254574
OS Northings: 199575
OS Grid: SS545995
Mapcode National: GBR GT.TKC9
Mapcode Global: VH4K0.S4XG
Entry Name: Genwen Engine House
Scheduled Date: 2 March 1993
Source ID: 2824
Cadw Legacy ID: CM263
Schedule Class: Industrial
Category: Engine house
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Carmarthenshire (Sir Gaerfyrddin)
Community: Llanelli Rural (Llanelli Wledig)
Built-Up Area: Llanelli
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The monument consists of a colliery engine house and other associated features relating to the operation of the Genwen colliery. The engine house contained a 52 inch cylinder beam engine made by Boulton and Watt and had replaced an earlier building of 1766 of Chauncey Townsend’s which had operated a Newcomen engine. The engine house was altered in 1837 when a larger engine was installed. Although closed between c1867 and 1898, the pit later re-opened and continued in use until 1907 when a gas explosion caused it to close. Pumping ceased in 1908 after which the colliery flooded out. The pumping shaft was immediately to the north of the building, and a winding shaft lay some 20m to the west. An adit opened in the 1830’s lies just to the west.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of mining in Wales. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. In particular the fabric of the engine house reflects the development of steam engines on this site over a long period of time. An engine house may be part of a larger cluster of industrial monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area is a square 30m by 30m around the centre of the engine house comprising the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.