This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6939 / 51°41'37"N
Longitude: -4.9601 / 4°57'36"W
OS Eastings: 195518
OS Northings: 203606
OS Grid: SM955036
Mapcode National: GBR G7.W7MK
Mapcode Global: VH1RZ.ZP5B
Entry Name: South West Dockyard Tower
Scheduled Date: 4 October 1959
Source ID: 2057
Cadw Legacy ID: PE332
Schedule Class: Maritime
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Community: Pembroke Dock (Doc Penfro)
Built-Up Area: Pembroke Dock
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument consists of a tower located slightly offshore on the south-west side of Pembroke Dock Royal Navy Dockyard as one of a pair of gun towers positioned at opposite ends of the Dockyard. Known locally as ‘Martello Towers’ or ‘Cambridge Towers’, these were intended to defend the Dockyard from landward and seaward attack supplementing the guns at Pater Battery and the Defensible Barracks. Construction began in 1848 and was completed in 1851. The tower was comimissioned up until 1881. It had a number of subsequent uses including as the location for a training battery for aircraft gunners in WWII.
The three storey 16m high structure, irregular octagonal in plan, has steeply battered walls. Located between high and low waterworks it was entered at first floor level by means of catwalks. Machicolations protect the entrance and the south-west flank. The basement, lying below high water, housed the magazine, a 4,520 gallon water tank, barrack store and artillery store. The upper two floors housed barrack accommodation, the windows of which also acted as casement loops. Heavy guns were mounted on the platform roof defended by thick parapet walls.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of construction techniques. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments