Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Paterchurch Tower, Pembroke Dock

A Scheduled Monument in Pembroke Dock (Doc Penfro), Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6935 / 51°41'36"N

Longitude: -4.9565 / 4°57'23"W

OS Eastings: 195763

OS Northings: 203558

OS Grid: SM957035

Mapcode National: GBR G7.W8KH

Mapcode Global: VH1S0.1PKL

Entry Name: Paterchurch Tower, Pembroke Dock

Scheduled Date:

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 3077

Cadw Legacy ID: PE380

Schedule Class: Monument

Category: Tower

Period: Medieval

County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)

Community: Pembroke Dock (Doc Penfro)

Built-Up Area: Pembroke Dock

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Description

The monument consists of a medieval tower which dates from the 14th century and is associated with a former manorial complex. In the 15th century this was occupied by David de Patrickchurch. It passed by marriage to the Adames family of Buckpool in 1422 who continued to hold it until 1731. The tower may have served as a fortified watch tower. It is c.10.7m high and comprised of three-storeys with a crenelated parapet and is built of rubble stone. The walls range in thickness from 0.8 to 1.2 m. Each floor has a single vaulted chamber with plastered vaults in the upper two storeys. The north east corner has a rounded stair tower that rises slightly above the rest; it is buttressed to approximately half its height north and east. The entrance to the main tower is on the north, there is a second doorway now blocked on the south side. The first floor has a fireplace with narrow flue in the south west corner and three open windows whilst the second floor has two open windows. Externally a line of corbelling protrudes above the south doorway and at first floor level there is a blocked camber headed door. On the north side there are traces of a gable roof crease and on the west at second floor level a blocked window above which two drainage gutters protrude.

The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of construction techniques. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.

The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.

Source: Cadw

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.