This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8347 / 51°50'4"N
Longitude: -3.9488 / 3°56'55"W
OS Eastings: 265821
OS Northings: 216914
OS Grid: SN658169
Mapcode National: GBR DY.VM4H
Mapcode Global: VH4JB.H4SW
Entry Name: Site of Forge at Llandyfan
Scheduled Date: 8 November 1978
Source ID: 2167
Cadw Legacy ID: CM223
Schedule Class: Industrial
Category: Iron forge
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Carmarthenshire (Sir Gaerfyrddin)
Community: Cyngor Bro Dyffryn Cennen (Dyffryn Cennen)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The monument consists of a complex of industrial structures that made up an iron forge, where bloom iron or cast iron was forged into wrought iron and situated adjacent to the river Lougher at Llandyfan. Llandyfan Old Forge was founded in the mid 17th century and abandoned in 1807. The remains consist of a mortared rubble stone dam 60 metres long, 5 metres wide and up to 4 metres high, with the remains of two wheelpits. Below the dam runs a leat with a collection of building foundations which must represent the site of the chafery, finery forge, smithy, charcoal store, warehouse and other offices. Some 275 metres downstream are the remains of the dam, reservoir and wheel pit of Llandyfan New Forge (circa 1780-1807).
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of 18th and 19th century iron working and other industrial practices. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques. An iron forge may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area is in two parts, the Old Forge and New Forge comprising the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments