Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pontypridd Bridge

A Scheduled Monument in Pontypridd, Rhondda, Cynon, Taff (Rhondda Cynon Taf)

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.605 / 51°36'17"N

Longitude: -3.3382 / 3°20'17"W

OS Eastings: 307420

OS Northings: 190421

OS Grid: ST074904

Mapcode National: GBR HQ.B31N

Mapcode Global: VH6DK.3X2H

Entry Name: Pontypridd Bridge

Scheduled Date:

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 2230

Cadw Legacy ID: GM015

Schedule Class: Transport

Category: Bridge

Period: Medieval

County: Rhondda, Cynon, Taff (Rhondda Cynon Taf)

Community: Pontypridd

Built-Up Area: Pontypridd

Traditional County: Glamorgan


The monument consists of the remains of a bridge dating to the 18th century. Pontypridd Bridge was completed in 1756 and was the last of 4 bridges designed and built in the same place by William Edwards. The first bridge, of 3 arched bays, was begun in 1746 but was swept away two years later. The second bridge, of a single span, collapsed in 1751. Edwards solved the problem of the pressure on an unusually wide arch by piercing the spandrels. This has proved successful and together with its high arch has formed the distinct character of the bridge. For 40 years the bridge was the widest span bridge in Britain (until Sunderland Bridge of 1796) and the widest in stone until London Bridge of 1831.

A graceful high-arched bridge with a single span of 42.7m. Of rubble stone, it has stone parapets with plain copings, at the apex of which is a renewed tablet commemorating the efforts of William Edwards and the repair of bridge in 1798 by Edward David and Thomas Evan. The distinct character of the bridge is derived from the 3 circular holes pierced in the spandrels of 2.7m, 1.8m and 0.9m diameter respectively, in ascending order. The deck now has renewed concrete steps. The parapet on the south side is attached to the parapet of the adjacent Victoria Bridge.

The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of post-medieval construction techniques and transportation systems. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.

The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.

Source: Cadw

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.