This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4908 / 51°29'26"N
Longitude: -3.602 / 3°36'7"W
OS Eastings: 288871
OS Northings: 178085
OS Grid: SS888780
Mapcode National: GBR HC.K8PH
Mapcode Global: VH5HJ.JS3K
Entry Name: Merthyr Mawr Inscribed Stones (now in St Rogue's Chapel)
Scheduled Date: 4 July 1956
Source ID: 2233
Cadw Legacy ID: GM026
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Bridgend (Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr)
Community: Merthyr Mawr
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument consists of the remains two free standing crosses probably dating to the early medieval or medieval period. The first being a cross-shaft and the second a carved cross; both now stand within the remains of St. Rogue's chapel. The cross-shaft is roughly rectangular being 1m in height, 0.5m in width and 0.2 m in depth; it is decorated on three sides with plaitwork and a worn inscription on the remaining elevation. The carved cross measures 2m in height, 1.2m in width and 0.2m in depth; the left hand side of the cross is missing. All four sides of the shaft are decorated and framed by mouldings.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of Christianity. A cross may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains as described.
Other nearby scheduled monuments