This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0308 / 52°1'50"N
Longitude: -3.2038 / 3°12'13"W
OS Eastings: 317508
OS Northings: 237613
OS Grid: SO175376
Mapcode National: GBR YX.GCXN
Mapcode Global: VH6BP.F731
Entry Name: Gwernyfed Park Camp
Source ID: 3359
Cadw Legacy ID: BR159
Schedule Class: Defence
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument comprises the remains of a hillfort, which probably dates to the Iron Age or Romano-British period (c. 800 BC - 5th century AD). The hillfort comprises an oval bivallate enclosure measuring 120m N/S by 45m E/W. The defences comprise two banks separated by a ditch on three sides with the steep natural topography on the E side forming the defences. The banks have been reduced by ploughing to around 2-3m in height except on the SE side where they have been ploughed out. Excavations were carried out in 1951 by H.N. Savory. This work recovered a sherd of Romano-British pottery from the ditch and also provided tentative evidence that the inner rampart had been deliberately destroyed the 1st century AD. Neolithic pottery was recovered from below the hillfort defences indicating that the site could have been built over an earlier Neolithic enclosure.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of later prehistoric defensive organisation and settlement. The site forms an important element within the wider later prehistoric context and within the surrounding landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments