This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0425 / 52°2'32"N
Longitude: -3.2023 / 3°12'8"W
OS Eastings: 317634
OS Northings: 238914
OS Grid: SO176389
Mapcode National: GBR YY.FD99
Mapcode Global: VH6BH.FXXM
Entry Name: Glasbury Old Church
Scheduled Date: 6 November 2006
Source ID: 1104
Cadw Legacy ID: BR350
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Community: Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument comprises the remains of a church, probably dating to the medieval period and situated on a raised mound on the floodplain on the S side of the River Wye at the village of Glasbury. The Second Edition Ordnance Survey map (1905, Sheet XXIII NW) depicts the site as an earthwork, noting it to be the site of St Peter's Church. The church measures c. 30.5m from ENE to WSW by c.13m transversely over substantial grass-covered rubble banks spread c. 1.5m in thickness and about 0.5m in height. Visible within these banks are the robber trenches resulting from the removal of the walls of the church. The smaller chancel is visible on the ENE end, while a substantial mound of rubble on the WSW end probably represents the base of a tower. The church is situated on the NW corner of an impressive raised platform that is triangular on plan and measures about 70m from ENE to WSW (along the N side) by about 40m transversely - this platform is raised about 1.75m above the surrounding ground surface and is likely to represent the churchyard.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval ecclesiastical organisation. The monument forms an important element within the wider medieval context and the structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information in regard to chronology, building techniques and functional detail. The raised mound and its surrounding area may be expected to contain further associated archaeological deposits; the depth of material contained within the raised platform is exceptional and may be expected to contain much information in regard to chronology and medieval demographics.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It is irregular and measures 100m from NE to SW by between 70m (SW end) and 20m (NE end) transversely.
Other nearby scheduled monuments