This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0342 / 52°2'2"N
Longitude: -3.2078 / 3°12'28"W
OS Eastings: 317239
OS Northings: 237994
OS Grid: SO172379
Mapcode National: GBR YX.G4XK
Mapcode Global: VH6BP.C40G
Entry Name: Aberllynfi chapel
Scheduled Date: 29 November 2006
Source ID: 1105
Cadw Legacy ID: BR351
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument comprises the remains of a medieval chapel, probably established as a manorial chapel by the founder of the motte and bailey castle to which it is associated and formerly a chapel of ease to Glasbury. The medieval structure comprises the foundations of the nave and chancel, now incorporated into a dilapidated drystone enclosure; the structure measures c. 18m from E to W by 6m transversely within footings 0.6m in thickness (the chancel measures 4.7m in width and 5.1m in length). The ground surface within the chapel is higher than the surrounding area, suggesting the possibility of stratified archaeological deposits.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval ecclesiastical organisation. The monument forms an important element within the wider medieval context and the structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information in regard to chronology, building techniques and functional detail. Its importance is further enhanced by its close association with the well-preserved Great House motte and bailey (BR080).
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It is rectangular and measures 22m from E to W by between 7m transversely.
Other nearby scheduled monuments