This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0813 / 52°4'52"N
Longitude: -3.3663 / 3°21'58"W
OS Eastings: 306471
OS Northings: 243430
OS Grid: SO064434
Mapcode National: GBR YQ.C1MX
Mapcode Global: VH6B6.LYRC
Entry Name: Gwenddwr Deserted Village
Source ID: 1792
Cadw Legacy ID: BR168
Schedule Class: Domestic
Category: Deserted Rural Settlement
Community: Erwood (Errwd)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument comprises the remains of earthworks, platforms and building footings, representing a deserted village, of probable medieval date. The site consists of a system of house platforms and small enclosures on a south-facing slope to the north of the modern village. All of the house platforms are to the south of a well-defined terrace cutting across the field from east to west. The deserted village is divided into two sections by an old track which cuts across from northwest to southeast and which leads to a ford across the small river that runs along the southern edge of the site.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement. The monument forms an important element within the wider medieval context and the scheduled area may be expected to contain a wide range of archaeological information, including chronological detail and evidence in regard to construction techniques and agricultural methods.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.