This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1153 / 52°6'55"N
Longitude: -3.3473 / 3°20'50"W
OS Eastings: 307840
OS Northings: 247185
OS Grid: SO078471
Mapcode National: GBR YR.8SD7
Mapcode Global: VH6B6.X3S8
Entry Name: Aberedw Castle Mound
Source ID: 1956
Cadw Legacy ID: RD117
Schedule Class: Defence
Traditional County: Radnorshire
The monument comprises the remains of a motte and ditch, dating to the medieval period (c. 1066 -1540 AD). A motte is a large conical or pyramidal mound of soil and/or stone, usually surrounded by either a wet or dry ditch, and surmounted by a tower constructed of timber or stone. Aberedw Castle Mound, also known as Hen Castell, sits on the summit of a rocky ridge on the north side of the gorge of the Edw. It is a steep-sided, roughly oval mound c.30m in diameter and c.5.1m high, with a summit c.10m across. A depression c.0.3m deep within this may hint at the presence of a stone tower. The motte is surrounded by a ditch and counterscarp on all sides but the south-east, where the natural cliff of the gorge provides sufficient protection. This site would have been succeeded, probably in 1284-85, by the nearby stone castle (Scheduled Monument RD029). The mound may have seen further use as a viewing platform in relation to the gardens of the much later nearby mansion.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval defensive practices. The monument is well-preserved and an important relic of the medieval landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of both structural evidence and intact associated deposits.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments