Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberedw Castle

A Scheduled Monument in Aberedw, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.1171 / 52°7'1"N

Longitude: -3.3502 / 3°21'0"W

OS Eastings: 307643

OS Northings: 247395

OS Grid: SO076473

Mapcode National: GBR YQ.8RMQ

Mapcode Global: VH6B6.W17T

Entry Name: Aberedw Castle

Scheduled Date:

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1916

Cadw Legacy ID: RD029

Schedule Class: Defence

Category: Castle

Period: Medieval

County: Powys

Community: Aberedw

Traditional County: Radnorshire


The monument consists of the remains of a castle, dating to the medieval period. A castle is a defended residence or stronghold, built mainly of stone, in which the principal or sole defence comprises the walls and towers bounding the site. Some form of keep may have stood within the enclosure but these were not significant in defensive terms and served mainly to provide accommodation. Aberedw Castle overlooks the floodplain of the river Wye and consists of a small rectangular masonry structure c.39m to c.41m square, which would originally have had round towers c.6m in diameter at each corner. It is surrounded by a ditch on the north, south and east sides and the eastern side is broken by a well-preserved entrance with a causeway across the ditch. Most of the western side has been destroyed by the construction of the railway but the inner face of the curtain wall is evident in parts. The eastern curtain wall is still standing to a height of about 1.9m in sections. The masonry is however in a generally crumbling condition. There are some slight traces of internal buildings. This castle is probably the successor to the nearby motte (Scheduled Ancient Monument RD117) and almost certainly dates from c.1284-5, as Walter Hakelutel received a licence to crenellate by 1285 in the wake of the defeat of the Welsh under Llywelyn ap Gruffudd. It is not recorded beyond the 14th century.

The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval defensive practices. The monument is well-preserved and an important relic of the medieval landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of both structural evidence and intact associated deposits.

The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.

Source: Cadw

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.