This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6931 / 51°41'35"N
Longitude: -5.0494 / 5°2'57"W
OS Eastings: 189338
OS Northings: 203773
OS Grid: SM893037
Mapcode National: GBR G5.YG16
Mapcode Global: VH1RY.FPFY
Entry Name: Fort Popton (Curtain Walls and Gun Emplacements only)
Scheduled Date: 17 January 1996
Source ID: 446
Cadw Legacy ID: PE446
Schedule Class: Defence
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument is comprised of buried features and earthworks representing a 19th century fort. Fort Popton was built in the late 1850’s and 1860’s to strengthen the defences of Milford Haven. Whilst the barrack block is less distinguished than South Hook and Hubberston, the gun emplacements are the best preserved and most varied. The remains inlcude the main block of eleven casements with six Moncrieff pits above which dominates the western side of the fort. A line of smaller emplacements en barbette form the northern side and the emplacements are linked to the barrack block by curtain walls and an external ditch.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of 19th century military organisation. The monument forms an important element within the wider context of the military occupation of Wales and the structures may contain well preserved archaeological evidence concerning chronology, layout and building techniques. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.