This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7082 / 51°42'29"N
Longitude: -5.0549 / 5°3'17"W
OS Eastings: 189030
OS Northings: 205464
OS Grid: SM890054
Mapcode National: GBR G5.XDL2
Mapcode Global: VH1RY.BBJC
Entry Name: Fort Hubberston
Source ID: 2066
Cadw Legacy ID: PE338
Schedule Class: Defence
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Community: Milford Haven (Aberdaugleddau)
Built-Up Area: Milford Haven
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument comprises a fort built between 1863 and 1865 to defend the inner part of Milford Haven against the threat of French invasion under Napoleon III. Located on the headland on the east side of Gelliswick Bay it was intended for a battery of 12 heavy guns plus 7 others nearby , the total was later increased to 28 guns in all. The fort is composed of two linked elements separated by open ground but within encircling walls. At the north angle is a defensible barrack that accommodated 250 men. The building is parabola-shaped to the north east facing out over deep defensible ditch. At the rear a southwest facing cross-building defines a triangular-shaped court. The ends of the parabola project beyond the cross range to provide covering angle bastions. An outer wall, with an entrance on the north, runs down to the second building at the south west angle, the battery. This has a massive low-set curved façade with bull-nosed cornice and a heavy parapet set into which are 12 sea-facing granite-framed gun-openings. Further fortifications to the east link back to the south east corner of the barracks.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of 19th century military organisation. The monument forms an important element within the wider context of the military history of Wales and the structures may contain well preserved archaeological evidence concerning chronology, layout and building techniques.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.