This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9184 / 51°55'6"N
Longitude: -4.1232 / 4°7'23"W
OS Eastings: 254075
OS Northings: 226562
OS Grid: SN540265
Mapcode National: GBR DP.PCX3
Mapcode Global: VH4HV.H12N
Entry Name: Dyffryn Camp
Scheduled Date: 5 February 1952
Source ID: 2791
Cadw Legacy ID: CM156
Schedule Class: Defence
County: Carmarthenshire (Sir Gaerfyrddin)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The monument comprises the remains of a hillfort, which probably dates to the Iron Age period (c. 800 BC - AD 74, the Roman conquest of Wales) and is situated on a promontory ridge running westwards toward the valley of the Afon Cothi, there are wide views to both north and south. It comprises of a single bank and ditch that surrounds an oval enclosure on all sides except on the south where the slope is naturally steep. The ditch has an interior height of 1m and an external height of up to 2m and where traceable the ditch is 0.15m deep on the east and 0.6m deep on the west, the entrance is in the south east between the bank and the natural slope. Hillforts must have formed symbols of power within the landscape, while their function may have had as much to do with ostentation and display as defence.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of later prehistoric defensive organisation and settlement. The site forms an important element within the wider later prehistoric context and within the surrounding landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.