This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8713 / 51°52'16"N
Longitude: -4.1563 / 4°9'22"W
OS Eastings: 251641
OS Northings: 221386
OS Grid: SN516213
Mapcode National: GBR DN.S9PD
Mapcode Global: VH3LK.X72B
Entry Name: Pen y Cnap Castle
Scheduled Date: 30 October 1951
Source ID: 428
Cadw Legacy ID: CM151
Schedule Class: Defence
County: Carmarthenshire (Sir Gaerfyrddin)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Pen y Knap castle comprises the remains of a motte and ditch, dating to the medieval period. A motte is a large conical or pyramidal mound of soil and/or stone surmounted by a tower constructed of timber or stone usually surrounded by either a wet or dry ditch and sometimes accompanied by one or more embanked enclosures (a bailey). The existence of a bailey at Pen y Knap though reported early in the 20th century is currently unproven. The motte measures 5.6m in height with traces of stonework on the 11m diameter summit, both the surrounding ditch and counterscarp bank are evident. Records show that in 1203 the castle came into the possession of, Rhys Ieuanc, son of Rhys ap Gruffudd (the Lord Rhys). The parish church of St Egwad’s 250m to the west also dates from the post-conquest period.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval defensive practices. The monument is well-preserved and an important relic of the medieval landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of both structural evidence and intact associated deposits.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments