This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7254 / 51°43'31"N
Longitude: -4.8259 / 4°49'33"W
OS Eastings: 204926
OS Northings: 206739
OS Grid: SN049067
Mapcode National: GBR GB.QF1B
Mapcode Global: VH2PB.9WMQ
Entry Name: Cresswell Quay
Scheduled Date: 4 February 2005
Source ID: 4014
Cadw Legacy ID: PE492
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument comprises the remains of the Cresswell Quay, an important element of the eighteenth century transport of anthracite coal from local coalfields. There are four quays still visible at Cresswell, arranged around a significant bend in the Creswell River where it turns to the east and widens entering the intertidal zone. The four surviving quays have been named according to a surviving estate plan of 1755; in order of passage downstream they are: Bartlet Allen's Quay (Item A), situated along the E side of the river together with the remains of a stony ford, this is extremely denuded; Owen, H Barlow & Powell's Quay (Item B), situated on the south east side of the bend which has been substantially rebuilt ; Wogan's Quay (Item C), situated on the S side of the river which is denuded and G Barlow's Quay located on the north side of the river, this has an associated culm yard and office building situated immediately to the northwest. The walled culm yard, or coal fold, was constructed in the first half of the eighteenth century, the access for carts being by way of a ford across the river. Shallow draught barges were used to transport the coal from the quays downstream to larger ports such as Milford Haven. It is probable that shipping from Cresswell Quay came to an end sometime before 1835, although the decline had probably set in by 1818.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance and illustrate our knowledge and understanding of the early development of the Pembrokeshire coal industry, in particular that knowledge pertaining to the local organisation of the transport of coal. It is currently thought that the survival of these features is unique. The importance of the monument is further enhanced by the survival of detailed historical documentation.
The area scheduled comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It is irregular and measures 205m from east to west by up to 165m transversely.