This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.698 / 51°41'52"N
Longitude: -4.8278 / 4°49'39"W
OS Eastings: 204677
OS Northings: 203708
OS Grid: SN046037
Mapcode National: GBR GB.S0K0
Mapcode Global: VH2PJ.8LL4
Entry Name: Carew Cross
Source ID: 3011
Cadw Legacy ID: PE009
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Period: Early Medieval
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Community: Carew (Caeriw)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument consists of a free standing cross probably dating to the early medieval or medieval period and stands in small walled enclosure just to the south of Carew Castle. The cross is 4.1m in height and comprises a combined wheel-head and shouldered neck tenon below, mounted on a tall splayed shaft with expanded base. Both head and shaft have carved decoration in low relief on all sides. The decoration on the neck and shaft is in rectilinear panels. On the neck, there are two squares of swastika T-frets, then below, three squares of a key-pattern. On the shaft is a panel filled with a plait work pattern, then an irregular key-pattern, below which there are two small panels, one enclosing the Latin inscription: MARGIT/EUT RE/X.ETG (uin). FILIUS, or: (The cross of) Margiteut (or Maredudd) son of Etguin (or Edwin). The other panel, on the right, being blank; below these is a panel of a different form of plait work. The bottom panel is patterned with T-frets.
The cross is in state care and was moved to its present location in 1925.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of Christianity. A cross may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described.