This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3051 / 52°18'18"N
Longitude: -4.1248 / 4°7'29"W
OS Eastings: 255226
OS Northings: 269572
OS Grid: SN552695
Mapcode National: GBR 8Q.WT75
Mapcode Global: VH4FX.GB77
Entry Name: Caer Penrhos
Scheduled Date: 16 September 1949
Source ID: 1865
Cadw Legacy ID: CD094
Schedule Class: Defence
Community: Llanrhystyd (Llanrhystud)
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
The monument comprises the remains of a very fine hillfort, which probably dates to the Iron Age period (c. 800 BC - AD 74, the Roman conquest of Wales). Hillforts are usually Iocated on hilltops and surrounded by a single or multiple earthworks of massive proportions. Hillforts must have formed symbols of power within the landscape, while their function may have had as much to do with ostentation and display as defence. Caer Penrhos stands on a prominent local hilltop with wide views, particularly to the west and south. It is defended for the most part by a single bank standing up to 4m high externally and up to 2m above the interior, although on the north-west, the hillslope appears to be the only defence. Within this enclosure, at the south-east end, is a probable medieval ringwork measuring c.40m east-west by c.25m north-south, defined by a bank standing up to 1.5m internally and 3.5m externally, above a ditch up to 2m deep. The entrance to the ringwork is on the south, and that of the main fort at the north-east. The main fort may have been adapted for use as a bailey to the ringwork, which probably represents the remains of the castle founded by the Welsh Cadwaladr ap Gruffudd in 1148 and last mentioned in 1157.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of later prehistoric and of medieval defensive organisation and settlement. The site forms an important element within the wider later prehistoric and medieval context and within the surrounding landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments