This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2934 / 52°17'36"N
Longitude: -4.1729 / 4°10'22"W
OS Eastings: 251910
OS Northings: 268365
OS Grid: SN519683
Mapcode National: GBR 8N.XM5T
Mapcode Global: VH3JF.MMB7
Entry Name: Aberstrincell or Graiglas Limekilns
Scheduled Date: 25 May 1994
Source ID: 748
Cadw Legacy ID: CD155
Schedule Class: Industrial
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Community: Llansantffraed (Llansanffraid)
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
The monument consists of the remains of a group of four limekilns, in which lime was made by calcining limestone. The group consists of two single kilns and a pair, and lies a short distance back from the cliff top, on the modern coastal path. Each has three pointed drawing arches capped with flat lintels and is built of large blocks of stone and knapped cobbles. The most northerly kiln (1) appears to have been added to that to its immediate south (2), and is probably the most recent in the group. It has a later buttress on its NW corner and its chamber is infilled. The drawing arches between kilns 1 and 2 form a T-shape with the vaulted arm between the two kilns having partly collapsed. Kiln 2 is buttressed on the SW corner. The ‘eyes’ are capped with a course of brickwork supported by a heavy iron band. The next kiln to the south (3) has two buttresses on its SW corner and the chamber is infilled. Iron grating bars survive and brickwork remains in the ‘eyes’. The most southerly kiln (4) is the most ruinous. Its collapsed chamber reveals a vitrified cobble lining with several iron bands to give additional support. Between the kilns are rubble revetment walls with a set of projecting steps. The kilns lie within a stone walled enclosure with a ruinous rectangular building built of beach cobbles in the SE corner; map evidence suggests that there were further buildings on the N side.
The site is first mentioned in 1786 when two limekilns were granted to James Lloyd. The complex was fully developed by David Morgan (1814-82). Six kilns are shown on a plan of 1850 but two may have been lost through coastal erosion. As many as 13 ships were known to discharge their cargoes of limestone and culm at wharves below this site at one time, and the lime was used on Morgan’s estates and widely in the district. This is one of the two most important groups of limekilns on the southern fringes of Cardigan Bay.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of industrial manufacturing processes. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques. A lime kiln may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.