This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2943 / 52°17'39"N
Longitude: -4.0483 / 4°2'53"W
OS Eastings: 260408
OS Northings: 268216
OS Grid: SN604682
Mapcode National: GBR 8T.XMWF
Mapcode Global: VH4FY.SL6K
Entry Name: Moated Site at Trefenter
Source ID: 1887
Cadw Legacy ID: CD127
Schedule Class: Domestic
Category: Moated Site
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
The monument comprises the remains of a well-preserved square moated homestead and adjacent features relating to it. The main homestead area measures c.15m by 15.5m, surrounded by a moat c.5m to c.7m wide. The moat is well preserved on the west, south and east sides, where it still holds water, but on the north side, a stone field wall runs across the inner edge of the moat, and the moat itself has been filled in. Earthworks were formerly visible connecting the south-west corner of the moat to a boggy area to the south-west; to the east of the channel were signs of a possible former building. All above-ground trace of these latter remains have now been lost to improvement, but remains may survive below the surface. The moat was built in 1826 by Augustus Brackenbury, who had purchased the right to enclose the area, to defend his (fortified) house against the local inhabitants who were aggrieved at losing their traditional rights to cut turf as commoners. This was the second house he had built after acquiring the land in c.1819. He was not there long before they took advantage of his absence to burn it down and carry off the remains. Related litigation rumbled on for some time and Brackenbury, after rebuilding elsewhere, eventually sold up, largely to local buyers, and left the area in about 1830.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of early 19th-century settlement. The monument is well preserved and is an important feature of the enclosed landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of intact archaeological deposits and structural evidence.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments