Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Inverallan Churchyard, Symbol Stone and Cross-Incised Slab

A Scheduled Monument in Badenoch and Strathspey, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.3145 / 57°18'52"N

Longitude: -3.6176 / 3°37'3"W

OS Eastings: 302664

OS Northings: 826039

OS Grid: NJ026260

Mapcode National: GBR K9FD.3LJ

Mapcode Global: WH5JP.DDKZ

Entry Name: Inverallan Churchyard, Symbol Stone and Cross-Incised Slab

Scheduled Date: 14 July 1964

Last Amended: 13 December 2000

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM2456

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: symbol stone

Location: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey

Traditional County: Morayshire

Description

The monument consists of a Pictish sculptured symbol stone and a cross-incised stone situated within Inverallan graveyard. The monument was first scheduled on 14 July 1964. On this occasion, an inadequate area was included to protect all of the archaeological remains: the present rescheduling rectifies this.

The graveyard is the site of church first referred to in 1230 and believed to have been dedicated to St Futach. The buried walls and foundations of the church were uncovered and destroyed shortly before December 1888 when the graveyard was extended. The building had been 80 feet long and 21 feet wide with a cross wall dividing it into two unequal portions. At the W end was found the Pictish symbol stone, now built into the west wall of the grave-yard, c. 40m from the N corner of the graveyard. The stone is a class I symbol stone measuring 1.06m x 0.5m x 0.14m, and is made of blue slate. Although much weathered, the crescent and V-rod, and the two legged rectangle and Z-rod are just discernible.

A freestanding stone slab, with a latin cross on each face, stands in the older part of the graveyard, and is commonly known as the Priest's stone. It measures 1.3m high, 0.6m wide and 0.2m thick.

There are two areas to be scheduled, one around the the Pictish symbol stone and the other around the free-standing cross-incised slab, both extending to 2m around each stone, as indicated by red crosses on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.