Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Minnigaff, Old Church

A Scheduled Monument in Mid Galloway and Wigtown West, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.9682 / 54°58'5"N

Longitude: -4.485 / 4°29'6"W

OS Eastings: 241020

OS Northings: 566557

OS Grid: NX410665

Mapcode National: GBR 4G.Y5MC

Mapcode Global: WH3TF.2DJ4

Entry Name: Minnigaff, Old Church

Scheduled Date: 31 January 1926

Last Amended: 18 August 1999

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM1107

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: church

Location: Minnigaff

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Mid Galloway and Wigtown West

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire


The monument consists of the shell of a single-aisled church. A church is mentioned on this site in 1209, although the remains of the present church mostly date from the seventeenth century, with some late medieval elements incorporated into the fabric. The building was abandoned in 1836 and has been used as a burial aisle since. The monument was first scheduled in 1926, and included two 11th century cross slabs. These cross slabs have since been removed: the present rescheduling amends the schedule to take this into account.

The church is rectangular, measuring 22.4m long and 6.6m wide internally. The walls are about 1m thick and constructed in random rubble. There is a round-headed door at the E end below a twin light lancet window, which are probably the only medieval windows remaining in the church. There is a stone on the outside of the E wall bearing the date '1706'. This date stone may relate to the refurbishment or alteration of the church. The W gable has a square headed door below a square headed window. All the walls stand to virtually their full height. The W gable is crowned with a crude ball-finialled birdcage bellcote. The S wall is pierced by five windows with a very narrow door half way down its length which is approached by several steps from the interior. The N wall is of similar appearance though without the steps . At the E end of the N wall there is an arched recess built to house a tomb. Above this are inserted fragments of a seventeenth century heraldic carving with a coat of arms and Latin inscription commemorating Patrick McKie of Cumloden. The aforementioned cross slabs, apparently head stones of 11th-century date, had stood a few feet out from the wall in the NE corner of the church in this recess, before they were removed.

The area to be scheduled includes the walls of the church. It also includes the land within 1m of the walls, but excludes any gravestones there. To the E the scheduled area extends to the top of the slope down to the Penkiln Burn. The area within the walls is included excepting those areas where burial rights still exist. The area is rectangular measuring 28m E-W by 11m, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

This monument is of national importance because it demonstrates the transition in ecclesiastical architecture brought about by the reformation. The church has potential to provide important information on the nature of Medieval Christianity, and the nature of the transformation to the reformed Protestant Church. The stair rising to the narrow door in the N wall is probably part of the arrangements for the kirk pulpit. A church is recorded on this site in 1209, when it may have been associated with the nearby motte. Despite the fact that the church has been used as a burial aisle there remains the potential for undisturbed areas of archaeology.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland



The monument is recorded by RCAHMS as NX 46 NW 7.


Gifford, J (1996) The Buildings of Scotland: Dumfries and Galloway, Penguin Books.

RCAHMS (1914) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Fifth report and inventory of monuments and constructions in Galloway, II, county of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, Edinburgh, 197, Nos. 370-3.

Reid, R. C. (1926a) Minnigaff?, Trans Dumfriesshire Galloway Natur. Hist. Antiq. Soc., 3rd ser, 12, 1924-5, Field Meetings, 246-8.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.