Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Bridget's Kirk

A Scheduled Monument in Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay, Fife

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0398 / 56°2'23"N

Longitude: -3.3345 / 3°20'4"W

OS Eastings: 316956

OS Northings: 683790

OS Grid: NT169837

Mapcode National: GBR 23.RDTR

Mapcode Global: WH6S4.RGC6

Entry Name: St Bridget's Kirk

Scheduled Date: 31 December 1936

Last Amended: 28 April 1999

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM90266

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: church

Location: Dalgety

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay

Traditional County: Fife

Description

The monument comprises the substantial remains of the former parish church of Dalgety and its surrounding graveyard.

Dedicated to St Bridget, the church was granted to the Priory (later Abbey) of Inchcolm by king William the Lion, and reconsecrated in 1244. It remained in use until 1830. The pre-Reformation building, of simple rectangular plan, is still discernible among the many post-Reformation alterations and additions. At the E end of the building, a stone forestair survives which once gave access to the timber gallery inserted to provide additional seating following the Reformation. The remains of aisles built out from the nave and chancel with burial vaults below and seating above are also visible. Of particular note is the grand aisle built at the W end of the church in the early 17th century for the Earl of Dunfermline, Chancellor of the Kingdom. This is a two-storey structure which includes a large 'laird's loft' with a fireplace. Built against the outer W wall of the graveyard is a watch house of more modern date.

The area to be scheduled is an irregular polygon on plan, with maximum dimensions of 34m N-S by 46m E-W to include the church, graveyard and watch house. The boundaries of the scheduled area are defined by the graveyard wall which is to be included in this scheduling. The area is marked in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as the substantial remains of a parish church with a documented history spanning some 800 years. Of particular note is the post- Reformation Douglas Aisle. The building and the surrounding grave yard have the potential to add to our knowledge and understanding of ecclesiastical architecture and religious practices over an extended period of time. The importance of the monument is demonstrated by its status as a property in state care.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS - NT18SW 2

Cross M., 1984, Bibliography of Monuments in the Care of the Secretary of State foe Scotland, 134
Historic Environment Scotland Properties
St. Bridget's Kirk
https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/st-bridgets-kirk
Find out more
Related Designations


ST COLMEGDL00345
Designation TypeGarden & Designed LandscapeStatusDesignated

WATCH-HOUSE, ST. BRIDGET'S CHURCHYARDLB3646
Designation TypeListed Building (B)StatusRemoved

ST. BRIDGET'S CHURCHLB3667
Designation TypeListed Building (A)StatusRemoved

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.