Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberdour Castle

A Scheduled Monument in Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay, Fife

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0549 / 56°3'17"N

Longitude: -3.2976 / 3°17'51"W

OS Eastings: 319282

OS Northings: 685432

OS Grid: NT192854

Mapcode National: GBR 24.QH41

Mapcode Global: WH6S5.92YK

Entry Name: Aberdour Castle

Scheduled Date: 30 April 1920

Last Amended: 17 April 2018

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM90002

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: castle

Location: Aberdour (Fife)

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay

Traditional County: Fife

Description

The monument forms the substantial remains of Aberdour Castle, the adjacent walled and terraced gardens and a dovecot.

The core of the castle is represented by the basement and a substantial part of the SE wall of a 2-storeyed hall house built ca.1200 for the De Mortimer family. This was raised in height and altered internally in the 15th century to create a tower house. In the mid 16th century, a central range was added, probably by Regent Morton, together with a back courtyard containing ancillary buildings.

The last major addition was the creation of an E range built for the 7th Earl in the early 17th century. The castle was damaged by fire in the late 18th century, only the E range subsequently being repaired. This continued in use as a barrack, school room, masonic hall and dwelling until 1924.

The terraced gardens to the S of the castle consist of 4 terraces linked by stone steps and probably date to the period of Regent Morton's rebuilding programme in the 1550s. The 'beehive' dovecot which stands at their SE corner was constructed in the later 16th century. The walled garden to the NE of the castle was built for the 7th Earl in 1630s.

The area to be scheduled is irregular in shape with maximum dimensions of 185m NNW-SSE by 200m ENE-WSW, to include the castle, terraced and walled gardens and the dovecot, plus the area of the driveway which extends 140m to the WSW of the W-most point of the castle grounds. The driveway is a uniform 10m in width.

The boundary of the scheduled area follows, and includes, existing boundary walls and is defined on the S side by the N bank of the Dour Burn: all as marked in red on the accompanying map extract. Excluded from this scheduling are the Custodian's building, the top 30cm of the driveway and the top 30cm of all pathways, to allow for maintenance.


Specifically excluded (in addition to and amended from current exclusions) are:



The above-ground remains of the modern structure of vestry of St Fillans church.
The above-ground elements of the modern structure of visitor facilities buildings (including the shop, toilets, kitchen and intermediate yard) and its roof, fixtures and fittings.
The top 30cm of garden ground within the walled garden and the top 30 cm of the orchard ground.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of the information it can provide on the development of castleated architecture from the 12th to the 17th century and for the information it provides on the social standing of the families who occupied the castle throughout its use. In addition, the survival of important internal decoration, architectural and artefactual evidence of the use of the monument and important information about the garden and associated pleasure grounds adds to its importance.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NT 18 NE 8

References:

Apted, M. R. (1966) Aberdour Castle, Fife, Edinburgh, 20-1, 28-9.

CBA (1975) Archaeology in Britain 1974-5, Report No. 25 of the CBA for the year ended 30 June 1975, 55.

Mackay, J. (1970) 'Across to Aberdour', The Scots Mag, vol. 93, April, 76.

RCAHMS (1933) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Eleventh report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the counties of Fife, Kinross, and Clackmannan Edinburgh, 21, No. 17.
Historic Environment Scotland Properties
Aberdour Castle
https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/aberdour-castle-and-gardens
Find out more
Related Designations


ABERDOUR CASTLEGDL00003
Designation TypeGarden & Designed LandscapeStatusDesignated

ABERDOUR, ABERDOUR CASTLE INCLUDING
GARDEN TERRACES AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB6421
Designation TypeListed Building (A)StatusRemoved

ABERDOUR, ABERDOUR CASTLE SUNDIAL (FORMERLY AT ABERDOUR HOUSE)LB3637
Designation TypeListed Building (A)StatusRemoved

ABERDOUR, ABERDOUR CASTLE DOVECOTLB3611
Designation TypeListed Building (A)StatusRemoved

ABERDOUR, ABERDOUR CASTLE WEST GATEWAYLB3609
Designation TypeListed Building (B)StatusRemoved

ABERDOUR,ABERDOUR CASTLE WALLED GARDEN WITH SUNDIALLB3610
Designation TypeListed Building (A)StatusRemoved

Canmore

https://canmore.org.uk/site/50844/
https://canmore.org.uk/site/50845/
https://canmore.org.uk/site/221816/
https://canmore.org.uk/site/120707/

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.