Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberdeenshire Canal, milestone 4 1/2, at 15 Mugiemoss Road, Bucksburn

A Scheduled Monument in Dyce/Bucksburn/Danestone, Aberdeen City

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.18 / 57°10'48"N

Longitude: -2.1716 / 2°10'17"W

OS Eastings: 389726

OS Northings: 809924

OS Grid: NJ897099

Mapcode National: GBR XM.4FN8

Mapcode Global: WH9QH.MS4L

Entry Name: Aberdeenshire Canal, milestone 4 1/2, at 15 Mugiemoss Road, Bucksburn

Scheduled Date: 20 December 1999

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM8435

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: inland water

Location: Newhills

County: Aberdeen City

Electoral Ward: Dyce/Bucksburn/Danestone

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Description

The monument comprises milestone 4 1/2 of the Aberdeenshire Canal Navigation, or Aberdeen-Inverurie Canal.

This canal ran from Port Elphinstone, just S of Inverurie, to Aberdeen harbour, following a course 18.25 miles (29km) in length above the right-hand bank of the River Don. The Act of Parliament that sanctioned its construction in 1796 declared its purpose as being to 'promote the improvement and better cultivation of the inland parts of the country'.

Construction was carried out by various contractors, with George Fletcher as resident engineer and John Rennie as consultant. The canal opened in 1805. It operated until 1854, when it was replaced by the Aberdeen to Inverness line of the Great North of Scotland Railway, which was built along roughly the same alignment, obliterating much of the canal's course.

The milestone stands on the N side of Mugiemoss Road, cemented to the corner of the wall enclosing the garden to no.15. It stands some 0.45m above ground and consists of a granite column, 0.3m in diameter, with a rounded top on which the number '4 1/2' is inscribed on a rounded sloping panel. The number bears traces of black paint. Although unlikely to be in its original position, the stone has probably not moved far from it.

The monument to be scheduled comprises the milestone itself, in the position indicated in red on the attached map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as representing one of only a small number of surviving elements of what was at one time a significant economic artery, serving the agricultural hinterland of Aberdeen. Its importance is further enhanced by the documentary evidence that also exists relating to legal and commercial history of the canal during its period in use.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Bibliography:

Eadem, (1964) Journal of Transport History, 6.3

Graham, A. (1967-8) Two Aberdeenshire Canals, Proc Soc Antiq Scot, 100, 170-78.

Lindsay, J. (1968) The Canals of Scotland (Newton Abbot), 99-112.

Milne, J. (1911) Aberdeen.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.