Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberdeenshire Canal, milestone 9 at Dyce Parish Church

A Scheduled Monument in Dyce/Bucksburn/Danestone, Aberdeen City

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.2079 / 57°12'28"N

Longitude: -2.1886 / 2°11'18"W

OS Eastings: 388705

OS Northings: 813027

OS Grid: NJ887130

Mapcode National: GBR XK.TPQ9

Mapcode Global: WH9QH.C316

Entry Name: Aberdeenshire Canal, milestone 9 at Dyce Parish Church

Scheduled Date: 26 January 2000

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM8438

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: inland water

Location: Dyce

County: Aberdeen City

Electoral Ward: Dyce/Bucksburn/Danestone

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Description

The monument comprises milestone 9 of the Aberdeenshire Canal Navigation, or Aberdeen-Inverurie Canal.

This canal ran from Port Elphinstone, just S of Inverurie, to Aberdeen harbour, following a course 18.25 miles (29km) in length above the right-hand bank of the River Don. The Act of Parliament that sanctioned its construction in 1796 declared its purpose as being to 'promote the improvement and better cultivation of the inland parts of the country.'

Construction was carried out by various contractors, with George Fletcher as resident engineer and John Rennie as consultant. The canal opened in 1805. It operated until 1854, when it was replaced by the Aberdeen to Inverness line of the Great North of Scotland Railway, which was built along roughly the same alignment, obliterating much of the canal's course.

Milestone 9 now stands before the W front of Dyce Parish Church, to the left of the door. It consists of a granite column, about 0.5m high and 0.3 in diameter, with a rounded top and the number '9' inscribed on a rounded sloping panel. The inscription is painted black. The section of the canal beside which the stone formerly stood (at NJ871148) has now been destroyed by sand and gravel extraction.

The monument to be scheduled comprises the milestone itself, in the position indicated in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as representing one of a small number of surviving elements of what was at one time a significant economic artery, serving the agricultural hinterland of the city of Aberdeen. Its importance is further enhanced by the documentary evidence that also exists relating to the legal and commercial history of the canal during its period of use.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Bibliography:

Eadem, (1964) Journal of Transport History, 6.3

Graham, A. (1967-8) Two Aberdeenshire Canals, Proc Soc Antiq Scot, 100, 170-78.

Lindsay, J. (1968) The Canals of Scotland (Newton Abbot), 99-112.

Milne, J. (1911) Aberdeen.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.