Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

North Queensferry, St James' Chapel

A Scheduled Monument in Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay, Fife

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 56.0091 / 56°0'32"N

Longitude: -3.3938 / 3°23'37"W

OS Eastings: 313191

OS Northings: 680454

OS Grid: NT131804

Mapcode National: GBR 20.TKHH

Mapcode Global: WH6S9.V725

Entry Name: North Queensferry, St James' Chapel

Scheduled Date: 11 March 2002

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM9806

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: burial ground, cemetery, graveyard

Location: Inverkeithing

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay

Traditional County: Fife


The monument consists of the remains of a medieval chapel dedicated to St James, extending along the northern edge of a walled churchyard. The west gable, which is pierced by a rectangular two-light window, survives to virtually full height, together with the lower portions of both the north and east walls; the north wall retains traces of a number of openings.

The chapel was established in connection with the ferry across the Forth, though the date of its original foundation is unknown. In 1320x22 Robert I granted the chapel to Dunfermline Abbey, with instructions that it was to be served by two chaplains. These chaplaincies had apparently ceased to be appointed by 1479, when Abbot Henry Creichton of Dunfermline established a new chaplaincy, with provision for a manse to the north of the chapel and two acres of ground, apparently to the west of the village.

After the Reformation the chaplaincy appears to have been regarded as a perquisite that could be granted out, and although a vicarage was established in 1582 this was evidently a sinecure.

The chapel is traditionally said to be have been destroyed by Cromwell's troops after the battle of Inverkeithing in 1651. In the eighteenth century the remains of the chapel and the burial ground passed to the North Queensferry Sailors' Society, who built a wall around it. This work is commemorated in a tablet inscribed THIS IS DONE BY / THE SAILERS IN / NORTH FERRIE / 17 52.

The area to be scheduled is irregular in plan, following the line of the eighteenth-century wall around the burial ground, measuring a maximum of about 17.5m E-W by about 20m N-S, as marked in red on the accompanying plan. Any residual burial rights are excluded from the scheduling.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland


No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.