Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Inch Garvie,Firth of Forth,defensive installations

A Scheduled Monument in Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay, Fife

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0009 / 56°0'3"N

Longitude: -3.3863 / 3°23'10"W

OS Eastings: 313639

OS Northings: 679527

OS Grid: NT136795

Mapcode National: GBR 21.TTDJ

Mapcode Global: WH6S9.YFMH

Entry Name: Inch Garvie,Firth of Forth,defensive installations

Scheduled Date: 19 August 1996

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6436

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: 20th Century Military and Related: Battery

Location: Inverkeithing

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay

Traditional County: Fife

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a succession of fortifications on the island of Inch Garvie. These range in date from the 16th century to the 20th century.

Inch Garvie was granted to John Dundas in 1491 by James IV with power to build a fort upon it. He did not do this, and James IV himself subsequently ordered a strong tower to be built in 1513. This castle is understood to have been subsequently used as a state prison, being re-fortified at the time. It was this tower which was occupied during Cromwell's campaign of 1650-51. Thereafter it was repaired and mounted with cannon during the Napoleonic war. The buildings and an additional battery were then described as ruinous.

The remains of this castle are incorporated in 20th century defences; these include gun emplacements, barracks and search-light emplacements, some of which were built by German prisoners-of-war during the 1914-18 conflict. One of the piers of the Forth Rail Bridge abuts the W end of the island, but is not included in the scheduling.

The whole island of Inch Garvie is to be scheduled. The only section to be excluded is where the island touches the Forth Bridge. The area to be scheduled is irregular in shape with dimensions of 330m from the W end of the island to the E by a maximum of 60m N-S, as marked in red on the accompanying map, and defined by the mean low water mark of ordinary spring tides.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because it is an important element in the defences of Scotland from the 16th century onwards. It has the potential to provide information on the defensive arrangements of each of the successive periods of defence and to provide evidence for the domestic and military life of the soldiers who garrisoned the island.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NT 7 NW 10.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.