Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kilmory, settlement, old burial ground and cross shaft, Rum

A Scheduled Monument in Caol and Mallaig, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.0475 / 57°2'51"N

Longitude: -6.3521 / 6°21'7"W

OS Eastings: 136149

OS Northings: 803581

OS Grid: NG361035

Mapcode National: GBR BBP2.Z3T

Mapcode Global: WGY8S.D4D3

Entry Name: Kilmory, settlement, old burial ground and cross shaft, Rum

Scheduled Date: 30 September 1997

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6891

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: cross-incised stone; Ecclesiastical: burial ground, cemetery, graveyard;

Location: Small Isles

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Caol and Mallaig

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Description

The monument consists of a post-medieval settlement, an old burial ground and a cross shaft. The burial ground was scheduled in 1968 and is now to be incorporated within the settlement as a whole.

The township of Kilmory was evacuated in 1828 and its remains have been undisturbed. It comprises sixteen derelict blackhouses and a burial ground situated along the W side of the Kilmory River. The houses are built of thick drystone walls and range in size from 3.5m by 2.7m to 10.5m by 3.5m; they are staggered along a sunken road. Around the township are the remnants of extensive rig and furrow cultivation. The settlement is depicted in the Blaeu Atlas (17th century).

The burial ground consists of a raised D-shaped enclosure (14.5m by 12.2m internally) formed by a drystone wall. Amongst the grave slabs lies a 7th- or 8th-century cross-marked pillar of hard sandstone measuring 1.6m long. This is carved with Latin crosses on two sides. One of the incised Latin crosses surmounts a long-shafted four-petalled marigold cross.

The area to be scheduled is irregular on plan with maximum dimensions of 430m N-S by 165m E-W as marked in red on the accompanying map extract, to include the settlement, its associated burial ground and the cross shaft which lies within the burial ground.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as the settlement has been undisturbed since its abandonment in the early part of the 19th century. It is in a very good state of preservation and has the potential to provide important information on post-medieval (and possibly earlier, indicated by the presence of the cross shaft) settlement and economy.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NG30SE 1 and NG30SE 8.

References:

Blaeu, J, 1654, Orbis Terrerum.

RCAHMS 1928, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles, Edinburgh.

RCAHMS 1983, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of Rhum, Lochaber District, Highland Region, The archaeological sites and monuments of Scotland series No. 20 Edinburgh, 9, 11.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.