Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lurga, lead mines, Gleann Dubh

A Scheduled Monument in Fort William and Ardnamurchan, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.6347 / 56°38'4"N

Longitude: -5.6977 / 5°41'51"W

OS Eastings: 173327

OS Northings: 755322

OS Grid: NM733553

Mapcode National: GBR DC95.QYH

Mapcode Global: WH0F9.GH0M

Entry Name: Lurga, lead mines, Gleann Dubh

Scheduled Date: 20 February 1998

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6787

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: mines, quarries

Location: Morvern

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of lead mines, opened around 1730, derelict by 1749, re-opened around 1803 and finally abandoned by 1850.

The remains take the form of open cast workings, with associated dumps of spoil, on both banks of a stream which enters Gleann Dubh from the W at Lurga, together with the remains of buildings dating from the second period of use. There are several ruined buildings at Lurga, all originally of drystone construction although one has been patched with mortar. At least one of the buildings is non-residential, for a water-course has been constructed from the stream above and runs diagonally through the building, just below floor level.

This may represent a stamping or crushing mill. A pack-horse track, leading from Lurga towards Liddesdale on Loch Sunart, can be traced at several points on the slopes above Gleann Dubh. The area to be scheduled is in two parts, both irregular on plan. The more westerly includes the best examples of the quarry pits and the spoil heaps, while the more easterly includes all the ruined buildings. These areas are marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as a fine example of the small-scale mineral extraction enterprises typical of Highland Scotland during the early years of the Industrial Revolution. With the associated storehouse at Liddesdale, beside Loch Sunart, it forms a small complex of particular interest.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NM 75 NW 4.

Bibliography:

RCAHMS (1980) Argyll, Vol. III, 251, No. 387.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.