Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Faucheldean,shale bing,Winchburgh

A Scheduled Monument in Broxburn, Uphall and Winchburgh, West Lothian

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9522 / 55°57'7"N

Longitude: -3.4674 / 3°28'2"W

OS Eastings: 308470

OS Northings: 674215

OS Grid: NT084742

Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.Y0YM

Mapcode Global: WH5RB.QN2B

Entry Name: Faucheldean,shale bing,Winchburgh

Scheduled Date: 17 May 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5692

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: mines, quarries

Location: Kirkliston

County: West Lothian

Electoral Ward: Broxburn, Uphall and Winchburgh

Traditional County: West Lothian

Description

The monument consists of a well-preserved shale bing. In form, the bing is flat-topped. It is a waste heap composed of residue from the destructive distillation of shale to extract oil. This process was the foundation of some of the earliest petro-chemical industries.

The area to be scheduled is irregular in shape, about 820m by 210m and as marked in red on the accompanying map. All modern boundary walls and fences are excluded from the scheduling.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as one of the very few intact spent-shale bings left in central Scotland. The shale oil industry was locally important for about a century, and its pioneer, James Young, developed refining techniques still used in the oil industry. This bing, with its neighbour Greendykes Bing, gives a clear idea of the enormous volume of material processed in the extraction of oil from shale. In this case the works depositing waste was the Hopetoun Oil Works, which operated from about 1870 to 1935.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the site as NT07SE 47.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.