Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kinnoull Church, remains of church and churchyard, Perth

A Scheduled Monument in Perth City Centre, Perth and Kinross

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3939 / 56°23'38"N

Longitude: -3.4223 / 3°25'20"W

OS Eastings: 312299

OS Northings: 723310

OS Grid: NO122233

Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.153Z

Mapcode Global: WH6QC.DKL7

Entry Name: Kinnoull Church, remains of church and churchyard, Perth

Scheduled Date: 6 March 1997

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6627

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: burial ground, cemetery, graveyard

Location: Kinnoull

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Perth City Centre

Traditional County: Perthshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of the medieval church of Kinnoull, with the aisle housing the monument of the Earl of Kinnoull, plus the surrounding churchyard.

The monument is located on the E bank of the Tay, just S of Queen's Bridge and close to the northernmost point of Friarton or Moncreiffe Island. The remains of the medieval church are now largely incorporated into a series of burial enclosures. The most substantial of these, and that which best preserves fragments of the medieval structure, is the N aisle, which was remodelled circa 1635 as the tomb house of the first Earl of Kinnoull, Chancellor of Scotland.

Around the remains of the church is the irregular walled enclosure of the churchyard, within which is likely to lie archaeological evidence for the full former extent of the church. The churchyard also contains an important collection of post-medieval gravestones.

The area to be scheduled is irregular on plan, measuring a maximum of 60m E-W by 30m N-S, to include the remains of the church, the burial aisle, churchyard and boundary wall and the gravestones within the churchyard, all as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as the site of a parish church established since at least the later 13th century, of which the finest surviving part is the aisle rebuilt c. 1635 to house the superb monument of the Earl of Kinnoull. The surrounding churchyard is also of high significance both for its archaeological potential and for its collection of memorials.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NO 12 SW 10.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.