Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Aberdeen Market Cross

A Scheduled Monument in Tillydrone/Seaton/Old Aberdeen, Aberdeen City

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.167 / 57°10'1"N

Longitude: -2.1023 / 2°6'8"W

OS Eastings: 393914

OS Northings: 808469

OS Grid: NJ939084

Mapcode National: GBR SBV.WK

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.P440

Entry Name: Old Aberdeen Market Cross

Scheduled Date: 8 December 1997

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM7124

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: market cross

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen City

Electoral Ward: Tillydrone/Seaton/Old Aberdeen

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Description

The monument comprises the market cross of Old Aberdeen which formerly stood in front of the Town House at the North end of High Street. When it was listed in January 1967, it had been moved to a position in a paved are immediately to the E of the former St Mary's church, now part of the University Geography Department, further S in High Street. It has since been restored to its earlier position.

The only remaining original part of the 16th-century cross is the knop, decorated with four coats of arms of Bishop Gavin Dunbar (1518-32) surmounted by (the remains of) crouching beasts. The shaft was renewed in 1951, and the stepped base is modern.

The monument to be scheduled comprises the entire market cross, including its modern stepped base, in the position shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because it incorporates a significant architectural fragment of the original 16th-century market cross of Old Aberdeen, erected by Bishop Gavin Dunban (1518-32), whose other building works, including the Greyfriars and the heraldic ceiling in St Machar's cathedral, are still evident in the city.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.