Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Fittick's Church, Aberdeen

A Scheduled Monument in Torry/Ferryhill, Aberdeen City

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1356 / 57°8'8"N

Longitude: -2.0632 / 2°3'47"W

OS Eastings: 396274

OS Northings: 804964

OS Grid: NJ962049

Mapcode National: GBR XS.8GJJ

Mapcode Global: WH9QR.8XS5

Entry Name: St Fittick's Church, Aberdeen

Scheduled Date: 30 October 2002

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM10400

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: church

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen City

Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill

Traditional County: Kincardineshire

Description

The monument comprises the remains of St Fittick's Church and its graveyard, visible as an upstanding monument. St Fittick's Church lies on open ground, adjacent to Balnagask golf course, overlooking Nigg Bay, at a height of about 10.5m OD.

This former parish church of Nigg, founded between 1189 and 1199, was dedicated to St Fittick, which is said to be a corrupted form of St Fiacre (seventh century). The structure was reconstructed and enlarged in the eighteenth century before being abandoned in 1829, but parts of the walls date to the thirteenth century.

The fabric has been considerably restored. The wall heads have a modern capping and the wall faces have been almost entirely rendered, obscuring the architectural features. On the N side, an early doorway or opening is visible, partly obscured by the raised ground level.

Stone masonry is visible only around windows and doors, and on the internal face of the bell-cote (E) gable end where memorials have been attached to the wall and a chimney has been inserted. The graveyard is crowded largely with nineteenth-century graves.

The area proposed for scheduling comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related material may be expected to survive. It is almost square in shape, with maximum dimensions of 36m NNW-SSE by 36.5m transversely.

The area to be scheduled is demarcated by the boundary wall of the graveyard, as marked in red on the accompanying map. It excludes the annex to the NE containing twentieth-century graves. It also excludes the above-ground parts of the boundary wall to allow for routine maintenance.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to an understanding of medieval and later ecclesiastical history and architecture.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NJ 90 SE 1.

Bibliography:

Anderson, R. (1910) 'Aberdeen in bygone days: views of streets and building &c, with letterepress descriptions, Aberdeen, 49.

Anon (1901) The Book of St Fittick, 49.

Fraser, G. (1913) Antiquities of Aberdeen and neighbourhood, 10.

Ledingham, A. (1902) History of new and old Torry, 39.

Reid, R. W. (1912) Illustrated catalogue of the Anthropological Museum, Marischal College, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, 20.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.