Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bowl barrow and adjacent section of a boundary bank in Rendlesham Forest, 1400m west of Valley Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Hollesley, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0712 / 52°4'16"N

Longitude: 1.4311 / 1°25'51"E

OS Eastings: 635241.454873

OS Northings: 246979.0341

OS Grid: TM352469

Mapcode National: GBR WQQ.2ND

Mapcode Global: VHM8D.R6FK

Entry Name: Bowl barrow and adjacent section of a boundary bank in Rendlesham Forest, 1400m west of Valley Farm

Scheduled Date: 26 January 1993

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1017576

English Heritage Legacy ID: 21254

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Hollesley

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Boyton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Details

The monument includes a small bowl barrow and a section of an adjacent
boundary bank. The barrow is visible as a sub-circular, earthen mound which
is encircled by a ditch. The mound stands to a height of 1m and covers an
area measuring 11m east-west by 8m north-south. The surrounding ditch, from
which earth was dug and used during construction of the barrow, has become
almost completely filled, but is marked by a slight hollow in the ground
surface to the south of the mound. On the north side of the mound, and
distinct from it, is a bank c 1.3m high and 5m wide which marks the boundary
between the parishes of Boyton to the south and Capel St Andrew to the north.
The construction of this bank subsequent to the barrow accounts for the
truncated appearance of the mound on the north side. On the mound is set a
limestone boundary marker dated to the late 18th century and inscribed with
the letters A H on the south face and B.T(?) on the north face. A H may
signify Lord Archibald Hamilton who was a landowner in the area between about
1771-1786. Prehistoric bowl barrows were sometimes re-used as boundary markers
in medieval times, and the relationship between the boundary bank and this
barrow is of particular interest.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments
dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most
examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as
earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple
burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often
acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar,
although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form
and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl
barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring
across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are
a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable
variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important
information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early
prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period
and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of
protection.

The mound of the barrow 1400m west of Valley Farm may have undergone some
superficial disturbance as a result of forestry work on the site, but the
greater part of the monument survives well. Evidence concerning the
construction and use of the barrow and the local environment prior to and at
the time of its construction will be contained in the mound itself, in the
soils preserved beneath the mound and also in deposits in the buried ditch
which surrounds it. The importance of the barrow is enhanced by its proximity
to several others in the area, the closest being 160m to the south-east. The
relationship between the barrow and the adjacent boundary bank will, in
addition, be of interest for the medieval landscape history of the area.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
Site Report, Newman, J, Suffolk SMR BOY 012, (1985)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.