Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churchyard cross in All Saints' churchyard

A Scheduled Monument in Hoby with Rotherby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7495 / 52°44'58"N

Longitude: -1.0102 / 1°0'36"W

OS Eastings: 466909.403149

OS Northings: 317331.748969

OS Grid: SK669173

Mapcode National: GBR 9ML.PFB

Mapcode Global: WHFK4.G560

Entry Name: Churchyard cross in All Saints' churchyard

Scheduled Date: 8 December 1997

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1017496

English Heritage Legacy ID: 30233

County: Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Hoby with Rotherby

Built-Up Area: Hoby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Upper Wreake Parish

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Details

The monument includes a standing stone cross located within the churchyard of
All Saints' Church, approximately 6.5m south of the south porch. The cross,
which is Listed Grade II, is medieval in date and includes a socket stone and
part of a shaft.
The socket stone is approximately 0.75m square and 0.6m high with stepped
corner mouldings. Set into the centre of the socket is a stone shaft, 0.8m
high, of tapering square section with moulded, rounded angles. The stump of
the shaft is surmounted by a later sundial. The full surviving height of the
cross is approximately 1.55m. The cross is clearly depicted in an engraving
dating to 1792 showing the south western aspect of the church.
The kerbstone and gravel surface of the pathway which lie immediately to the
east of the cross are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground
beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 1 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

A standing cross is a free standing upright structure, usually of stone,
mostly erected during the medieval period (mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD).
Standing crosses served a variety of functions. In churchyards they served as
stations for outdoor processions, particularly in the observance of Palm
Sunday. Elsewhere, standing crosses were used within settlements as places for
preaching, public proclamation and penance, as well as defining rights of
sanctuary. Standing crosses were also employed to mark boundaries between
parishes, property, or settlements. A few crosses were erected to commemorate
battles. Some crosses were linked to particular saints, whose support and
protection their presence would have helped to invoke. Crosses in market
places may have helped to validate transactions. After the Reformation, some
crosses continued in use as foci for municipal or borough ceremonies, for
example as places for official proclamations and announcements; some were the
scenes of games or recreational activity.
Standing crosses were distributed throughout England and are thought to have
numbered in excess of 12,000. However, their survival since the Reformation
has been variable, being much affected by local conditions, attitudes and
religious sentiment. In particular, many cross-heads were destroyed by
iconoclasts during the 16th and 17th centuries. Less than 2,000 medieval
standing crosses, with or without cross-heads, are now thought to exist. The
oldest and most basic form of standing cross is the monolith, a stone shaft
often set directly in the ground without a base. The most common form is the
stepped cross, in which the shaft is set in a socket stone and raised upon a
flight of steps; this type of cross remained current from the 11th to 12th
centuries until after the Reformation. Where the cross-head survives it may
take a variety of forms, from a lantern-like structure to a crucifix; the more
elaborate examples date from the 15th century. Much less common than stepped
crosses are spire-shaped crosses, often composed of three or four receding
stages with elaborate architectural decoration and/or sculptured figures; the
most famous of these include the Eleanor crosses, erected by Edward I at the
stopping places of the funeral cortege of his wife, who died in 1290. Also
uncommon are the preaching crosses which were built in public places from the
13th century, typically in the cemeteries of religious communities and
cathedrals, market places and wide thoroughfares; they include a stepped base,
buttresses supporting a vaulted canopy, in turn carrying either a shaft and
head or a pinnacled spire. Standing crosses contribute significantly to our
understanding of medieval customs, both secular and religious, and to our
knowledge of medieval parishes and settlement patterns. All crosses which
survive as standing monuments, especially those which stand in or near their
original location, are considered worthy of protection.

The churchyard cross in All Saints' churchyard represents a good example of a
medieval standing cross marking a graveyard. Situated to the south west of the
south porch it is believed to stand in or near its original position. Limited
activity in the area immediately surrounding the cross indicates that
archaeological deposits relating to the monument's construction in this
location will survive intact. The cross has not been restored and following
adaptation as a sundial has continued in use as a public monument and amenity
from medieval times to the present day.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Nichols, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester, (1805)
Other
Leicestershire County Council, 61 NE.AT,
Listing Report: 19/288,
RCHME, NMR Long Report: SK 61 NE 2,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.